Re: Swamper radials

>>24 Dec 1998 13:07:18 -0700 Darrel <darrelK@domain.elided>
>>writes:
>>Mike Ryan
>>1977 Scout II, 304 (soon ported 345), automatic, Dana 300, 3.54 gears,
>>4" superlift springs, 1.25" body lift, 33 X 12.5 Swamper TSL Radials
>>
>>Mike,
>>How do you like your Swamper radials?

Darrel,

I've been very happy with the Swampers.  They have excellent traction
and appear to have great puncture resistance.   Airing them down to 18
psi lets them wrap around rocks quit well without sustaining any rim
damage to date.  Off road, there excellent.  On road, they don't
handle as well as the BFG mud terrains or Dunlop Rovers.  They're also
a little noisier, but I feel the trade offs are worth it.

I use my Scout mostly for off-roading, it's not a daily driver.  The
rubber compound is very soft on the Swampers, and they wouldn't last
long for extended on road use.  I'd guess 15,000 to 20,000 miles would
be stretching their useful life.  For me though, that's 7-10 years.
 Off road, that soft rubber grips rocks much better than the harder
compounds.  The leading edge of the cleats or lugs also get pieces
torn off easier with the soft compound, but the lugs are so large, I
doubt it matters much.

In Mud, they REALLY clean well.  The last trip I went on had trucks
with BFG mud terrains, BFG all terrains, Dunlop Rovers, and my
Swampers.  The lugs on my Swampers stayed much cleaner than the
others.  The Rovers retained a little mud, the BFG mud terrains even
more, and the BFG all terrains were slicks.

If I had to spend more time on the pavement than just driving to off
road sites or occasionally running around town,  I'd have gone with
the Dunlop Rovers.  Several people I wheel with are now using them.
They are similar to the BFG mud terrains, but clean better in mud and
appear to have stronger sidewalls.  They are about the same as the
BFG's on road.  The Rovers require a little more shopping to get a
good price, but everyone has found them for the same or less money as
the BFG's.

Check out this site:
http://www.4x4review.com/products/tires/tsl_vs_bfg.asp

They have a comparison between the BFG's and Swamper radials that is
very accurate compared to what I have experienced.

The short and sweet version:  for mostly off road, I'd buy the Swampers
again.  For multi purpose uses, I'd buy the Rovers.

Take care,

Mike Ryan
1977 Scout II, 304 (soon ported 345), automatic, Dana 300, 3.54
gears, 4" superlift springs, 1.25" body lift, 33 X 12.5 Swamper TSL
Radials

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]