Mandera-ism - camper

Straight from the world reknowned think-tank of Me, Myself, and I...

I was day dreaming (as I often do, of course) this morning and thinking
towards RMIHR again... this was partially spawned by my recollections
last night while composing some "RMIHR-writeup" and remembering how very
uncomfortable I was in the rain and my crappy tent, vs. when I slept in
the cab on the bench seat, in the relative warmth and dryness of the
soft-top.

OK, now thinking towards this coming RMIHR, and possibly having a
companion or two along, and wanting to have a dry place to store my
"stuff" while still being able to run-about in the Scout.  Not a
problem, I'll tow the camper trailer!

Err.. wait.. I plan on flat-towing the racer... I don't think I want to
*double tow* the racer behind the lifted '77 with a square box-style
camper trailer behind the racer... ummm... *NO*.

Start thinking on the racer.. hrrrmmm.. great place to store stuff for
the drive.. kinda like a trailer.. (plan has been to wear out my stock
235/75R15 all-season radials on it.. for towing and some-times racing,
while I toss a set of "race tires" *in* the racer while towing... I've
gotta find a way to wear out the 10 good stock tires I have...)

Hmmm..

What if I put the hardtop on the racer (I have a spare).. I could then
sleep in the racer!

Well, no... the rollcage makes that a bit impractical, and most likely
the racer'll be chock full of mud most of the time anyhow.. and it still
will have that nasty draft from no doors and no windshield...

The next evolution.. I hit pay-dirt. :-)

1) acquire a used windshield frame for the racer.. for use when
mud-racing n' such, plus as a wind-break when towing w/ the hardtop on.
Plan on removing this frequently.

2) build a new "tub" to bolt the hard-top to.. one that could be stored
*in* the racer..

Huh?

Arrive at RMIHR.  Un-load extra goodies.

Extra goodies would be a rectangular frame, say 12" to 2' high, with the
same dimensions as the Scout II hardtop.  Make it from sheet metal, plus
some 1"x1" 1/8' angles on the top and bottom and corners.  On the top
angle, drill holes and then weld bolts to it so I have studs pointing
up.. in the same spots as the factory hardtop bolt holes.  Install a
rubber weatherstrip gasket on this rail.  This "frame" would be made up
of 4 pieces.. two long and two short, easily placed inside the racer
(this means a little shorter than the overall racer length, but still
longer than the sides of the hardtop mounting flange).

use the same stud arrangement to allow the easy fitment of "cross
angles" much like a conventional bed has wooden slats across the
center.  I'd use angle stock.  Then use sheetmetal or even plywood
sections over the "cross-slats" to make a raised platform.  Make this
just a few inches above ground, but still *above* ground.

Fab a tailgate type arrangement for the end..  use large/wide flat on
the very base of the "frame" to make a sturdy mounting platform/feet.

Bolt the hardtop down.  You have the liftgate/tailgate for getting
in/out, and the full hardtop for a water-proof *ceiling* anyhow...

Next big issue is what to do with the "door openings".. for my 6' frame,
I think the main platform needs to come partway into the door opening..
then bring it up to a shelf that would extend forward to the windshield
bolts and then up to mate to the windshield bolt area.

Hardest part would be desiging something to then seal up the sides
around the door area.  Probably use angles to go around the corner of
the door opening gasket and then use some type of bolt or "sandwich"
effect to make a decent seal.. again, more rubber weather stripping
self-adhering.

The "shelf" could then be used for storage.. or, if need be, a suitable
spot for a coleman stove or lantern.. maybe put a vent in the hardtop
just above the "shelf" for smoke relief.

The hardtop already has sliders for ventilation if it's hot..

Remembering those COLD nights in Fairplay.. I could put my 300w $100
"Backseat heat" rip-off piece of junk suspended from the hardtop cieling
over the "shelf".  Then run a power cord from this "camper" I've built
over to the daily-driver Scout.. and right into an isolated Marine
deep-cycle battery that gets charged anytime the motor's running, but
won't draw down the main electrical system (thus, while driving around
n' playing the next day, the Marine battery would be charged up for
another night of warmth).. shoot, I'll put the factory dome-light in!

heck, install a spare AM/FM/Cass headunit and speakers in there, too..
why not?

I'd then have a dry, warm (use insulation if I want), heated place to
sleep.  Put an airmatress down on the floor and a pair of sleeping bags,
and yer set.

Additional cargo to haul would be the panels to make the frame.. the
hardtop has a convenient storage place on top of the racer.. and, being
a racer, if it gets wet.. so what?  Heck, I could pack a tarp for the
racer..

Hmmm.. I better go practice some more with that welder.. and plan a
lunch trip to Pacific Steel across town..

Just trying to use those "left-overs" I have... like a hardtop in OK
shape n' such..

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout
Yes, work *IS* that boring today...