Re: The saga continues

Tark,

Man,  check out the ignition and carb system before you tear into the
engine itself.  My money is on the ignition system.

I have the Mallory dual-points distributor.  If you still want the part
number I can get it for you.

Remove the plug wires one at a time to see which cyl is dead.  Then hold
the wire near a bolt to see if you get a nice spark.  It should be able
to spark nice & blue for 1/4 inch at idle, even with points.

You might replace the plug and the wire for the dead cylinder.  This is
cheaper than anything else.  Also check the dist cap for excessive dirt
and a crack.

If this doesn't help, you should do a compression check.  If the comp
check is ok then it's definitely something with the ignition or carb.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Steve