Shocks for stock Scout

I have a 79 ScoutII that is in need of new shocks.  I don't know much about
shocks, but I wish to do the job myself.  My Scout is stock with 31x10.5s,
345 and TF727.  I do very little off roading, but I do tow my 2300 lb boat
over the Appalachian mountains.

What kind of shock would one recommend considering the average use of my
vehicle?  Is installation easy for a neophyte such as me?  Any special tools
needed?

I am also in need of brake pads.  Can I get these from the local auto parts
store (if so does anyone know a part #) or should I order them from a Scout
specialty shop?

Any help is much appreciated

Brent A. Fidler