Re: Another Engine Swap Question

On Fri, 25 Dec 1998, Daniel Nees wrote:

>    The 800B wouldn't need axles changed at all. The 'Power-Lok' is an
> excellent limited-slip traction device. I have one in my 71 and love it.
> It is a geared limited slip as opposed to the Trac-lok that was in the
> Scout II's, there are a clutch plate limited slip and thus wearout
> easily.

Shame on you, Dan!

The Power-Lok uses clutches JUST LIKE the Track-lok.  They are BOTH prone
to wearing out.  However, the PowerLok *IS* the better of the two for
off-roaders.. it's a more positive setup, and can be re-setup (triple
belleville or was that double?) to be even "tighter" and provide even
MORE positive traction.

The only *geared* Limited Slip I'm aware of is the True Trac from
Dynatrac (Detroit).. and it wasn't an OE offering in the Scout anything.

;-)

BTW, can someone provide me with some *real* details on why a Tracklok is
so much "weaker"?  My input to a discussion on the "nw4x4" list was kinda
tossed aside by someone because I'm still running my "weak" Trashloc and
how could I know what I'm talking about.. or some such.

I've heard the Tracklok is a 'weak' diff.. and not a great LS either..
but is it *weaker* than.. Open?  *WHY*?  And how much weaker?

I'm not concerned about the LS clutches wearing out and acting like an
open diff.. that's fine.  But... ker-blooey concerns me. :-)

OTOH, $500 for a shiny new Detroit could be
$500-almost-afford-that-winch-I-want.

It ain't broke, don't fix it... or do I?

-Tom (also on the warpath for new shocks soon.. my 1yr old Heckethorn
8000s don't seem to be cutting it.. and I lost another shock-mount-bolt
in the last few days.. really annoying..)