Re: Origin of Old Hickory

In a brilliant stroke of genius, "Eppinger.Michael"
<Eppinger.Michael@domain.elided> blurted out:

>No special meanings.  I am just a horrible speller (that is why I became an
>engineer, I would have never survived English)  I heard this quote on the
>radio this morning, and I immediately thought of myself (thank goodness for
>spell checker) and Dan Nees.  Why do you think I go by Epp, instead of my
>whole last name<vbg>.

John H. and I were discussing this spelling issue several months ago after
he pointed out some terrible misspelling of mine (thank god for spell
checkers).  At the time I had just finished reading the Journals of Lewis
and Clark, and was enjoying pointing out that neither Lewis or Clark could
spell worth a damn.  In fact, I think I read somewhere that Lewis spelled
some particular word 36 different ways throughout the course of the
journal.

[soap box mode on]
I look at it like this... in this modern age, we've lost sight of some of
the *important* things in life... things like survival skills, creativity
and reasoning abilities.  Instead, nowadays one of the pathetic ways a
person is judged is by how well they can spell.  Having perfect spelling
ability means you simply have the skill to memorize a bunch of
semi-meaningless stuff.  Why remember something and possibly have it wrong
when you can look it up (this is why you'll find my IH shop manual well
worn and greasy)?  I contend that as long as you can effectively
communicate, perfect spelling should be of relatively minor importance.  I
feel very sorry for my own children struggling to learn how spell with the
crazy English language.  My 12 year old daughter is sometimes brought to
tears over it.

Lewis didn't realize what a truly enlightened time he lived in.  A time
when silly things like spelling were eclipsed by far more important things
like science and discovery and a man was judged by such.  Nowadays you
would probably be required to pass a spelling test before being selected to
go on an expedition!
[soap box mode off]

Marry Kristmass,

John L.
jlandry AT halcyon DOT com    |
Conservative Libertarian      |
Life Member of the NRA        |        All the GOOD things in life
WA Arms Collectors            |              are DANGEROUS!
Commercial Helicopter - Inst. |
www.halcyon.com/jlandry/      |