Re: Flushed.. no better tho'

Tom Harais wrote:
> I've got to go with John on this one. You say your hoses get hot, then
> so should you're heater core. You've got them hooked to the right place
> and you've verified coolant flow, right?

Appear hooked right.. thought I didn't personally hook them up after the
motor swap, my step dad did.. OTOH, one hose is longer than the other
due to the flow valve, so I *think* they're right.  Also recall I had
"weak" heat last winter with the 196.

I have not positively identified flow.. I remember the hoses HOT.. but I
didn't check *last night*.

I looked through the valve (it was still attached on the engine side of
the hose) and confirmed there was a "hole" that goes through it for
coolant to flow.  Some dribbled out when the hose was lowered below the
top of the intake a little bit during disconnection.  Coolant flowed out
of the core when I yanked it out.

> Another thought, check the correct operation of the air control box. Be
> sure the air is flowing over the core and out the manifold (cardboard
> box) and into the cab. I know that mine DOES NOT flow well on "fan"
> alone. I have to also put the "AIR" lever all the way over to let
> outside air come in. I've never traced this down, but then again, even
> with this freaky Canadian air mass hovering over us it doesn't go below
> about 20 or 25 here.

Actully, that's how it's supposed to work.. the "AIR" switch operates a
"flapper gate" that sits right about in the firewall.  It's open or
closed.  Open, it allows the fan or road speed to blow air through the
heater ducts.  closed, it almost blocks it all off.. though if you turn
the blower on HIGH, you can still get airflow out of it by pushing past
the flapper (obviously it's not airtight.. at least, 20yrs after
manufacture it isn't)

That all said.. it seemed to work better this morning by the time I got
to work.. perhaps I didn't wait long enough last night.. or the 20
degree fluctuation in ambient temperatures did it.

I had the Scout running last night, and the temp gauge was around 1/4 up
from "C".. which tells *me* that it should be warm enough for heat.
Maybe I was wrong.

It was only slightly hotter when I pulled into work this morning, but I
could definitely feel some heat coming from the heater.. unlike last
night... then again, when I walked into the house after "testing" the
heater, my pinky fingers kinda hurt a bit and my hands were numb when I
went to the computer to type, so how would I know if the heater was
working?  ;-)

I'll check a little bit more tonight after work.. gotta bring wood in
again, so I'll have my Carharts back on.. might as well check for
coolant flow n' such and see how hot the cab gets on the way home.

There was a bunch of crud in the heater core.. I had to clean a nice
layer of silt off the bottom of the tub this morning.. ;-)

Maybe I fixed it... ;)

-Tom (still gotta tighten up the rear diff pinion yoke, too... maybe
Christmas Eve during the *day*..)