Re: heater core removal

On Mon, 21 Dec 1998, Nicholas Rayer Jr wrote:

> Of all the things you have considered this is by far the easiest. Just
> pull both hoses and the washer bottle. Remove about 6 sheet metal screws
> from the heater core housing and pull the core out the front. The
> hardest part is getting the bottom screws and wire on the washer bottle.

<grin> It sure was.. thus far.

Core's out.. not a big deal.. and it's not quite as bitterly cold as I
had feared.. well, I guess putting on a pair of sweat pants, jeans,
t-shirt, turtleneck, sweatshirt.. then my Carhart Arctic coveralls.. then
my ski mask, my neck warmer, and my wool hat and my ear muffs may have
had something to do with it.. but it's cold enough I couldn't wear my
glasses.. my breath kept foggin' 'em up.

I just finished running water through the core.. come gunk came out at
first but I couldn't tell if it was just antifreeze or crud.. and it
didn't seem to stick real well to the bottom of the sink with the water
running.. but the water flows clean now..

Just waiting for my sleeves to dry before I go back outside.. :-)

The bottom screws on the washer and coaxing the hoses off were the
hardest part, yer right.  I also had to detach my "air manifold" (with
the pressure gauge, quick connect, and safety valve) since I installed it
between the washer and the heater core.

If I had a longer hose for the washer, I'd be tempted to remount the
bottle while I'm in there.. but I guess I'll wait 'till it's warmer. :-)

Thanks everyone.. I'll know in a little while if my flush did any good..

I'll check the heater valve too while I'm looking at it.. just to make
sure I don't have a flow problem.

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT   Only -7 at the moment.. wow.. heatwave!