Re: Three quick questions... Answer to question 1

"Eppinger.Michael" wrote:

> Matt,
> The Straight Steer is not a sway bar or steering dampener.  It is a brace
> that goes between the frame rails opposite the steering box mount.  It
> reinforces the steering box mount and joins the frame together at this point
> and minimizes any flex of the steering box.  I installed one of these and
> highly recommend it (these run about $75 and are available through most of
> the scout dealers, SSS, GUS, etc).  I do not feel that this replaces the
> need for an anti sway bar (mounts at the front of the front springs on the
> shackles) on the highway.  I had a steering stabilizer on my 74 scout, but I
> think that it just hid some of the underlying problems.  If you have larger
> tires, the steering stabilizer may come into play, but for 31" tires and
> smaller, I don't see a need for it, if your front end components are up to
> par.
>
> These are just my opinions.
>
> Epp
> The Scout Ranch

Matt,
You can get the same results as the Strate Steer by placing a 3/16" steel plate
behind your steering box. I had the plate cut by a local fabrication shop for
about $7 and then drilled the holes myself. I think the steering box is actually
more secure with this method. Also drill, weld, and grind and cracks you find in
the frame behind the steering box.
I had a Black Diamond steering stabilizer shock (one of the stiffest ones on the
market) and found it did nothing to reduce the "bump steer" I was getting from
my Z-shaped drag-link (Spring-over suspension lift). After I rebuilt my
suspension and fabricated a custom steering setup with a straight drag-link my
"bump steer" was reduced to zero and the Scout drives great. So I agree with Epp
100%: don't expect the steering stabilizer shock to help if you have other
problems. Bite the bullet and replace your drag-link, ball joints, tie rods,
etc.

Darrel Kline
Colorado Springs
1980 Scout