RE: Three quick questions... Answer to question 1

Matt,
The Straight Steer is not a sway bar or steering dampener.  It is a brace
that goes between the frame rails opposite the steering box mount.  It
reinforces the steering box mount and joins the frame together at this point
and minimizes any flex of the steering box.  I installed one of these and
highly recommend it (these run about $75 and are available through most of
the scout dealers, SSS, GUS, etc).  I do not feel that this replaces the
need for an anti sway bar (mounts at the front of the front springs on the
shackles) on the highway.  I had a steering stabilizer on my 74 scout, but I
think that it just hid some of the underlying problems.  If you have larger
tires, the steering stabilizer may come into play, but for 31" tires and
smaller, I don't see a need for it, if your front end components are up to
par.

These are just my opinions.

Epp
The Scout Ranch