Weight of tops

hey, y'all,

Just was thinking about how weight affects gas mileage (more weight, more to pull), and was wondering, if I pulled my hardtop and put in roll bars and a soft top, what diffrence would I be looking at?  anyone know?

Also, I eventually plan to do a deisel swap, but until then what are some cheap tricks I can use to coax a little more out of those presious gallons of gas? (.88/gal when I filled the metro, it was .74 last week :-(, just keeps rising.)

Joe