Re: Split rims

Howard R Pletcher wrote:

> >>retainer side of the  tire away from me. I often thought, but never did
> it, that laying
> >another  tire on top of the retainer would asorb the energy of it coming
>
> >off.
> >>
> >>The school I was going to (just completed) had a safety video where
> they
> >>show a split rim with a VW bug resting on it blow up.  lifted the bug a
>
> >>good 10 feet.
> >>

> FYI, sales of the old type split rings were outlawed about 10 years ago.
> I'm not sure if it was OSHA or DOT or just who, but the danger has been
> documented.  There is a modified form with a very deep groove for the
> ring that is almost a drop-center rim that is very difficult  to get the
> tire onto.
>
> I've never worked on one, but have heard enough horror tales to state I
> wouldn't try to inflate one without a a cage, which I think usually are
> of 3 or 4" tubing, which should show the forces expected.  I'm afraid a
> log chain would just provide more pieces flying around if the ring comes
> off, which fortunately doesn't seem to happen real often.
>
> If the VW film doesn't convince you, how does a game of Russian Roulette
> sound to you?  In this case it may be one bullet in perhaps a 20 shot
> revolver, but I still don't like the odds.
>
> Howard Pletcher
> Howteron Products Scout Parts

> or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

I have an Uncle that was "changed" forever by this.  He had owned and
run his own gas and service station for about thirty years, had seen it
all, could fix anything.  Had a split rim blow off, and, luckily, only
deal him a glancing blow.  He was in the hospital for months, in a
wjheelchair for some time, had to give up his business, and had
tremendous motor skill problems for as long as I knew of-I am
unfortunately not really much in touch with that segment of the family
anymore-probably haven't spoken to or heard from them for over ten
years-but last I heard he was still only about "half there," and this
was about eight years after the accident.
I do not know if he was using any constraint system at all, but he was a
very well-educated and experienced mechanic, and was not the, "Oh, I can
do it right without any equipment" kind of guy.  At least, this is my
general impression, but I was only around 12 or 15 when this happened.
I just remember he was always watching us like a Hawk and lecturing us
on safety when we would be at the station.

Michael