Split rims

>retainer side of the
>> tire away from me. I often thought, but never did it, that laying another
>> tire on top of the retainer would asorb the energy of it coming off.
>> John Hofstetter
>
>The school I was going to (just completed) had a safety video where they
>show a split rim with a VW bug resting on it blow up.  lifted the bug a
>good 10 feet.
>
>Joe

That's impressive, Joe.
Glad that I don't have to work on split rims anymore. As a matter of
general interest, the big problem with split rims, in my opinion, is that
they seem to often mount the tire out of round. I almost always had to
have my tires trued, when I got new tires or they hopped down the road.
Doesn't quite make sense that the split rims should be worse in this
respect than regular rims, but they seemed to be. What about this, one of
you tire guys?
John Hofstetter