Split rims

>Subject: Split Rim help!
>
>Hey folks,
>
>While looking at where to start on my '56 travelall, I noticed the split
>rims on the truck.  Any hints on how to unmount/remount the rim restraint.
>
>Thanks for the help,
>andru
>'56 IH Travelall and a handful of Land Cruisers

Very carefully on the remount. Essentially, you "unmount" the rim by
deflating the tire and then prying one end of the retainer out and up and
just keep working it around until it comes off. To put back on, start one
end and with a mallet keep working around until it pops into place. When
you go to inflate, that rim can pop off if it wasn't seated properly so
truck shops inflate them in a cage. I inflated mine by using a long
barreled chuck on my air filler and pointing the retainer side of the
tire away from me. I often thought, but never did it, that laying another
tire on top of the retainer would asorb the energy of it coming off.
John Hofstetter