Non-chirp plugs

>Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 09:02:23 -0800
>From: "Owen" <renarac@domain.elided>
>Subject: Re: Emission plugs
>
>However, there is a true IH part number for this that has a "rod" sticking
>out the end of the set screw that goes down into the emission tube hole. It
>stops an annoying "chirping" of the exhaust.
>
>I think the IH part number has been posted in the FAQ.

John, Jeff, Owen, and whomever,
Steve Stegmann wrote a thread on the plugs used for closing off the
emission tube hole, and he said that the end of the set screw that Owen
calls a "rod", serves to eliminate the chirping that putting in regular
set screws doesn't deal with.
Even though he is from Missouri, he was "shown" by actual use that the
Navistar ones are the ones to use. (g)
I used brass pipe plugs, but I think I may have had to rethread them.
That was on my SSII and it was so noisy, that I couldn't hear the
chirping anyway. If I do this again, I'm going to pay the extra for the
Navistar non-chirping plugs.

John Hofstetter