Re: Points, Dwell???

There are two settings for the points gap.  If they are new points, you are
supposed to set them to .019, or if they are to be "tuned up", you set them
to about .016 or thereabouts.  It's relatively easy to set them properly
without removing the distributor...all you do is mark what the
distributor's current position is, loosen the hold-down clamp, then turn
the distributor until you see the contact arm that rides on the cam is
sitting on one of the high lobes.  AT this point, lock down the distributor
clamp temporarily, then check your gap.  Adjust until it reaches the
desired gap, then tighten the points screws.  loosen the distributor clamp
and return entire unit to original position, then tighten clamp.

You will find that the gap changes your timing somewhat.  the easiest way
to set your timing once your gap is fixed, is to run the scout, evaluate
it's performance, then advance the timing until you hear "pinging" on
acceleration.  At that point, retard the timing a bit until this goes
away..you then have a perfectly-timed Scout Engine!!!

NOTE...when changing the timing, remember two things:

1/  SHUT the ENGINE OFF before CHANGING ANYTHING!!! I know there are fancy
tools out there to allow you to loosen and tighten the clamp bolt, but
things are too dicey with all those fans and belts and stuff whirling
around to risk losing some fingers, hair, head, etc...
2/ To advance the timing, turn the distributor COUNTER CLOCKWISE about a
1/4 inch at a time or less.  To retard the timing, turn the distributor
CLOCKWISE, again with small increments.  I have discovered that a timing
light tends to simply confuse the issue too much...

Jason and Maria Colavecchia
1979 IH Scout II,  V304, modifications ongoing
1969 IH 1210D Travelall 3/4 ton, V345,  restoring slowly