RE: cam gear, valve seals

About 4 years ago (long enough my memory is a little fuzzy) the 392 in my 73
1210 4x4 developed a loud tapping.  Louder than a lifter but not quite as
loud as a rod knock.  Upon tearing it down there were 4 or 5 teeth missing
off the cam gear.  It was still running fine just the noise.  When we took
the cam out the cam bearings were toast.  The first one was really bad (the
one behind the gear).  We put in new cam bearings (new cam and lifters too)
and also at the time put new rod bearings in.  My oil pressure went back up
above the middle of the gauge and now with about 30,000 additional miles it
has been fine.  Don't know how many miles on this engine but I'm sure it's
over 200,000.  I've had a couple different speedometers in it so have lost
track.  It didn't use much oil so we decided against a complete teardown.
Also when we had this engine on the engine stand I wanted to put valve seals
on it.  I had a head set from a 6.9 diesel we had changed a head gasket on.
We used the positive valve seals that were for the 6.9 on the intakes.  If I
remember right they fit just perfect.  I don't remember but I don't think we
did anything with the exhausts.  Just another idea you guys might throw
around.

Kurt