Re: Brakes...No pedal pulsation, but 74IH "pulsates" with braking

On Wed, 16 Dec 1998 18:28:41 -0700 "Phillip L. Knapp O.D."
<plknapp@domain.elided> writes:
>Hey List,
>
>I've got a '74 IH 4x4 pickup with disc in front and drum in back...
>when I hit the brakes the pickup "pulsates". That is to say it's like
>the brakes are being applied and then realeased very quickly... I
>get the feeling that it could be the rear drums out of round.. but I've
>never had this type of brake symptom before.... I also thought it
>could be something crazy with the vaccuum canister for the power
>brakes, the pickup had a bad intake valve (bent pushrod) so I
>though fixing that would fix the pulsating brakes too... but no such
>luck... any ideas?

I take it you think it's not the rotors because the pedal doesn't pulse?
I'd still bet it's the rotors that need to be turned.  I've had the same
problem on a couple of vehicles where there was no pedal pulsing, but the
vehicle would seem to vibrate when braking at higher speeds and to surge
forward and back at slow speeds.  Turning the rotors was the fix.

Howard Pletcher
Howteron Products Scout Parts

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]