Re: Desiccant...

owner-ihc-digest@domain.elided
> Subject: Re: Re[2]: Mold in the truck? Desiccant...
> Date: Wednesday, December 16, 1998 4:12 PM
>
> By the way, did you not say yesterday that the desicant you folks used
was
> sodium hydroxide which most of us know as "lye". I was thinking, and my
> gunsmith freind confirmed, that the desiccants I commonly see in consumer
> goods are sodium silicate crystals.

Another commonly available dessicant is Calcium Chloride.  Frequently sold
in cloth bags to hang in damp basements, or in large sacks for snow
melting.  This stuff is SO hungry to absorb water, it'll even melt the ice
to do it if it has to. (Sounds like it has a personality, eh?)  Pretty
cheap as well.

Bill Thebert
The Binder Bulletin