Oh yeah, fun w/ my welder

Almost forgot late last night to mention something I really enjoyed.

The ex-racer came to me with rear springs and a Travelall rear axle
stuck inside 'em.. someone had tried to weld the axle to the springs for
pushing the thing around (much like I plan on doing, only I'll just use
my old U-bolts and no perches, instead of trying to arc weld the springs
and axle together!  Also, the weld was cold and broke he moment they put
the tractor's fork-front end through the radiator trying to push it..
yeah, bright folks).  The axle has a truss on it.  The springs where
actually going THROUGH the truss.. between the truss and the tube.

To get the 'cage out, I needed to cut it from the frame.. the axle was
lying under neath the rear mounts of the 'cage (or near it anyhow) and I
wanted to get it out of the way of the weld splatter.. I couldn't move
the axle rearward on the springs.. it was being uncooperative, so I
decided to take the spring off while I was there (need 'em for the new
chassis anyhow)

Naturally, one of the bolts and bushings was stubborn and refused to
come out.. here's the fun part!  MY REVENGE for the ordeal I endured on
my '77 when I put the lift in...

Rear shackle, lower bolt (into the spring).  It came out about halfway,
with the steel inner sleeve rusted to the bolt.

Hmmm.. OK stupid thing... I'll fix *YOU*.

Ground clamp to the shackle... put a fresh piece of 1/8" cutting/gouging
rod in the electrode clamp, and... BBBBZZZZZTTTTT... right through that
nasty old sleeve *and* the bolt inside.  HAH HAH.  Like a hot knife
through butter!

That was the most fun all night.. not having to deal with that stupid
bolt n' sleeve.

Now, if I had a *torch* it would've been even easier..

:-)

-Tom (awfully talkative today..)