Re: Tom's Axles Q's... - his Racer

jmbrodsky@domain.elided wrote:

>      Tom, one quicky here.  Just don't try to drive the truck with no
>      spring perches on that axle!  The instant you put power to the
>      rear-end, the axle-wrap will twist the axle tube in the u-bolts,
>      and break the U-joint, right quick!

Right.  Heck, I watched John Comer do that.. and he had spring perches
welded on and everything! :-)

Primary goal of bolting the T'all axle up w/o perches n' such is just so
it'll roll and I can tow it from it's current storage location in the
back yard to the front of the garage, where I can work on it.. it was a
major PITA getting the two carcasses off the flatbed I borrowed to drag
'em home with (since neither chassis had axles).. the ex-racer went out
front first.. I had to get the motor/trans/etc out of it.. that's about
done.. time to start putting stuff *in* to the other one.

Once I roll it around front, I'll also be able to weld the spring
perches in the right location.. I upgraded my welding leads from the 6'
things that came with the box to 30' and 35' leads.. I can get 'em out
of the garage now and into the driveway.. but not all the way into the
back "lot".

That particular chassis doesn't have a motor in it yet... it's basically
a frame, body (no hood) and hardtop.. with seats.  The rest I get to add
in.

> No fun crawling home in
>      front-wheel-drive, with no lube in the rear end.  For sizing

FWD won't work.. remember, I'm trying to source a front axle for it! :-)

>      only, it's probably ok, but not for long, and don't forget to
>      weld perches in!

*nod*  You bet.  More practice with the buzz-box!

>         So when do you challenge Dan Schwarz of Top Truck Challenge
>      fame to a run?  He has the '65 Scout 80, red with custom
>      engineered everything.

Ooohh... in a drag race or obstacle course?  or in TuffTruck?  Hmmm..
sounds like it could be a lot of fun... and my Scout'll be more 'Binder
than his..

>      Sounds like you have a plan.

I think so.. still refining it all of course...

Say, Joel, don't you have a few spare carcasses lying around?  Maybe
YOU.. hmm.. no.. your UNCLE's SHOP needs a Baja Racer to sponsor..

It *will* be done in time to flat-tow (gee, doesn't that sound like
fun?) to RMIHR this summer.. though I hope I'll have it ready for it's
first Baja-race in February.

John and Pansy can't be the ONLY ones there with an actual race-truck to
play with...

Did I tell ya that once I get it running and race-worthy, I'll start
wiring up the headlights and tailights and everything else I need to
make it street-legal?  What fun is having a race car toy that you can't
drive to work now and then?... <VBG>

There's pics of the ex-racer and next-racer on my homepage.. I have more
I need to add (gee, haven't I been saying that for a while?)..

Thanks, Joel.

-Tom
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout
'77 Scout II - lift, locker, 33s, V8, 4spd - driver & trail rig
'72 Scout II - frame off project on-hold.. driver & trail rig when done
'77/78 Scout II - baja racer under way!  Full speed ahead!