Re: those manual trannys

On Tue, 15 Dec 1998 06:33:30 PST "Jim Butterfield"
<jimraelee@domain.elided> writes:
>So why is it that IHC manuals shift so slow... I know the feeling about
>having to slowly shift the t-19. I thought it had a bad 3rd gear, cause
>it almost always grinded if I went too fast. If I take it slow, it
>seemed to be ok. WHATS UP WITH THIS????
>
>Jim
>
>You'll get no argument from me. I agree totally. I loved  swapping out
>my T-18 close ratio with the T-19 wide ratio, cuz it ROCKS, when
>wheeling. But,there's about a 3 second wait (at least it seems that way)

>between gears. Frustrates the heck outta me. I think I've almost wasted
>my T-19 trying tospeed shift it everyday when I commute.
>

>STeve

Sounds like your's has been driven in the past like Steve drives his.  My
T-19 CAN be speed shifted if you want, but I wouldn't want to drive it
that way very long as I'd expect it to be grinding in a short time.
Normally it talks a momentary .pause (1/2 second or less) for the
synchros to match the speeds and it slides in with no grinding.  And my
previous T-18 was about the same as I remember it.

You've got to keep in mind this is a truck transmission, designed for
hauling 6000# trailers or thrashing around in 4WD with 35" Mudders, etc.
and you've got big, heavy gears in there to align.    And the term
"close-ratio" means close only compared to the 6:1 wide ratio.  It's
nothing like a close-ratio 4 speed in Tom H's Camero  (What are the
ratios in those transmissions, Tom?)

What you describe doesn't sound normal.  I'd expect new synchros would
greatly improve the driveability of yours.

Howard Pletcher
Howteron Products Scout Parts

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]