Re: Question for the masses...

jmbrodsky@domain.elided wrote:

>      Here goes:  Ready for the can of worms?
>
>         What is a better four-by and where?
>
>         1960s MB UniMOG    (owned one for a day, great ride)

Those things are a real hoot! They are neat looking and have great off-road
capabilities. I know a guy with a Mog and a Hummer. The Mog was stolen
recently :o( but recovered with a blown motor.

>         1990s AMG Hummer   (Been out with these and my 1972 Suburban
>                             kept up just fine)

A group of Hummers I was in also had a Dodge Ram in it and the Ram got
high-centered a few times and bogged out in a fairly deep puddle.

There is a hill at Ft. Hood here in Texas that only a Hummer has been able to
scale thus far.

>         1970s IHC Scout II (Obligatory, I love 'em)

 I do too!! We bought a 75 and haven't taken it off road yet. I just received
a 2" body lift from John Fleck that should allow me to go from the current
32's to 33's.

>         1950s Dodge M37 Power Wagon (Friend at work has one, drove
>                              it around, and was amazed at the gearing)

What about the Jeep?

>      The kicker is that the prices for the above list look like:
>
>         $10,000
>         $70,000
>         $4,000
>         $6,000
>
>         This is for great interior, and exterior, and good running
>      condition.  Parts availability not a consideration, since in the
>      hands of a master, nothing 'should' get broken.  I guess it has
>      to do with all that 'Close Adult Supervision' that everyone
>      recommends I have.  Right John H?

If we had bought our Hummer brand new, we would not have added many of the
aftermarket aminities it came with used. It has a really nice wood package, a
nice stereo system that I drowned in a river :o(, carpeting, and leather
seats.

>         I bought the MOG about 4 months ago, but it made really weird
>      tranny noises after it was warmed up, so I gave it back to the
>      guy.  Drove it for a day though.

I say find another Mog.

> The M37, I have driven these,
>      and they GO.  They just plain GO.  Each is within reach, and I'd
>      love to get another toy.  Question is just that I'm wondering if
>      I should hold off searching for the cheap Hummer that needs work,

Good luck with that, my friend, unless you find several that are cut into
pieces. The military has an agreement w/ AMG that the HMMWV's are to be
destroyed if they are surplused(?!) or beyond repair. The only way to get a
cheap one is to build it from parts which, in itself, is NOT cheap. It's been
done before. If you want to find a reasonably prices Hummer the look at
www.hummertime.com. I think you would be amazed by the abilities of the beast.

I quit comparing the ability of my Hummer to anyone else's vehicle simply
because they all have different abilities. One of the nice things about our
Hummer is that we can scoot across fairly rough terrain at a pretty good clip.

--
If a man is alone in the woods and no woman is around.... is he still
wrong?

Kevin Curry <>< - Kevin@domain.elided
Lisa Curry <>< - Gonna be a trailblazer yet!
'94 Red Hummer 4DHT Slant-back - "HummuH"
'75 Black International Scout - "Stealth"
'84 White "Lightening" CJ-7
'89 Soon to be whatever color Lisa wants Suburban - "Sluggo"
ICQ# 7653541
http://www.redhummer.net