Re: Tom's Axles Q's...

jmbrodsky@domain.elided wrote:
>         The J10 axles should be about 4" wider track than your T'all axles.  I

4" wider than the *Travelall* axles?  Yikes!  And how much wider are the
Travelall axles from the Scout IIs?  (I have a '44 rear from the T'all
but I haven't measured it.. it sticks out past what used to be rear
wheel wells though.. it's not mounted at the moment, just kinda "under
there")

I don't mind the idea of wide... but... not *WIDE* y'know?

> believe that the factory J10 axles are wider and required flares on the fenders
> from the factory.  The 6-lug axles sure sound like GM style.  You may want to go

That's what I was told this weekend... 6-bolt Chevy stuff... Hmmm.. I
think mom has 6-bolt wheels on her '68 Chevy 1/2T.. I think there's 6lug
stuff on our '69 GMC too... those tires are good 'nuff for racing, and
mom won't be needing 'em over a weekend anyhow, right?  <VBG>

> with the slightly heavier (Heavy Half Ton) GM 12 bolt corporate axle, and D44

I think a GM '44 front is also an option from my friends' scrap pile..

I own *half* of those Jeep J10 axles already though (what are the odds I
own the front axle that I want?  heh).. which makes them a nice
candidate.. ;-)

> front.  Then again, why not try a 3/4T setup with Corp 14 bolt rear, and
> D44/D60? 35 spline in front?

Now you're talking Joel... 'cept at that point.. WEIGHT.  Well.. wait..
Scouts are nose heavy.. so a Corporate 14bolt in the rear might be a
GOOD THING... add some (admittedly, unsprung) weight in the back.. don't
14bolts weigh some ungodly amount.. like 600lbs?  600lbs rear axle,
750lbs front motor... hmmm...

>  More hotter better faster stronger, we can rebuild him.  Cost:  $6 Million.

Well.. how about I start with the "left overs" '44 front and '44 rear..
in whatever combination is most cost effective (or maybe my friend has
an extra Bronco 9"...).. and if/when I break 'em I'll look to upgrading.

Remember.. my goal is to use all the junk parts that aren't good 'nuff
for my daily driver to build a racer.. :-)

May have found a 35spline Dana 60 rear!  My friend has a '60 rear lying
in his pile as well.. said something about it being an extra heavy duty
unit.. 8-lug FF.. I asked what it came from and he said it's a Chevy
rear.. "Oh?.. around 1970 maybe?".. something around there he said..
anyone know just *which* years Chevy used the 35spline Dana 60?  As I
recall, it was around that 67-72 time frame...  or better yet, did Chevy
ever use the 30spline '60 in the rear?

-Tom