Tension Shackles...

Devin,

        Unfortunately to burst bubbles, almost EVERY Big 3 truck, and most IH
pickups have Tension Shackles.  Virtually every truck of 3/4T or greater has
tension shackles as well.  Take a gander under a truck and look at the rear
spring, rear shackle.  Most are in tension.  It has a more predictable action,
and tends not to distort the spring pack to the extent that a compressino
shackle does.  Also the brackets that hold the shackle to the frame are inverted
from what you consider to be 'normal'.  I have seen people with Chevy's cut the
bottom of a tension shackle bracket out, and make a compression shackle and net
about 6 inches of lift while retaining the factory spring rate.  It does greatly
reduce the strength of the bracket, though.  This setup is also preferred on
larger trucks with overload springs since the design allows more clear room
above the spring pack for the overload pack.  Thus allowing a longer overload
pack to be installed.  There is a 5 Ton Mack at my Uncles shop now, with this
setup.  Loks like you only get about 3" of travel, then the overloads, then rock
hard like stone!  The other benefit of a tension shackle setup is the
elimination of the potential flip-lock action of leaf springs and shackles.  In
a compression setup the shackle is free to rotate almost 180 deg. back and
forth.  The tension setup rarely moves that far, more like 45 deg, in either
direction.  Take a look.  Let me know what you see.

     -Joel Brodsky
        www.physics.arizona.edu/~jbrodsky

         '76 IHC Scout II 345/tf727 RE8000, Cibie40s, custom
                rear tire rack, 6 different color body panels.
                Not much sport, all utility.
         '75 IHC Travelall 150 4wd 392/tf727 Hummer brush guard,
                3/4T rear springs, Hella Rallye 2000s, Con-Ferr 5x7,
                Class IV hitches front and rear, 3" Exhaust.
                1st Place, Rocky Mountain IH Rendezvous,
                3rd Place, Tulare IH Western Regionals.
         '74 IHC Travelall 150? 2wd 392/tf727 "The 'new' one"
                Factory AM/FM, Cruise, Tilt, AC, Captains Chairs,
                Rblt, Alt, carb, fuel pump, ps pump, water pump, dash,
                seats, rear door, starter, master cyl, what could be left?