Re: Choice of torque converters

On Sun, 13 Dec 1998, Daniel Nees wrote:

> 1) IH manual trannies, any of them, are not made to be raced or speed
> shifted.

3spd *can* be shifted quick enough.. but you'll wear out the syncros and
it still ain't quick (how do I know this?)

The transmission is actually part of the reason why I have slowed down
and my driving "improved" (at least, for those that think it was bad
before) since I started driving Scouts.. the tranny *makes* me drive
nicer.. ;-)

Once I get my stumble fixed, I'll do some 0-60 timings with the
304/closeT19/4.09s and 33s.. then we'll see what the racer will do..

> 2) Auto's are the way to go for a fast street or dirt racer in a Scout.
>    Now I'll duck and wait to for the controversy

Autos are (supposedly) a hot ticket for racers.. not so much for the
"quickness" but I think becuase you get to keep two hands on the wheel
and one foot on each pedal. :-)

My racer gets a slush box.. the other benefit is it eliminates the driver
(me) from ETs.. at least, if I were competitively doing 1/4 mile drag
races, they class you based on what your ET is.. if you overrun your
"pace" ET, you DQ.  With a stick shift, it's easy to be inconsistent with
your times.. with a slush box.. it's driver response and then MASH THE
THROTTLE n' hold on.

Hmm.. now I can't wait to see how the racer feels with the slushbox.. I
did mention I intend for it to be a pavement pounder as well as off-road
racer... nothing like an open top, full 'caged, no windshield, dual
glasspacks, low gears and an auto for the ol' commute to work.. might
have to try low range on the pavement too for some real neck-breaking
take offs.. <VBG>

-Tom