You want fast?

>What he overlooked at first glance (and what I omitted above) was WHERE
>these max torque values occurred.  When pulling a heavy trailer away from a
>stop, you're going to be turning 1000 - 1500 engine RPMS at *most*.
>
>The gas V-8 makes 300 ft-lbs only at 3,000 RPMS.  Probably half that at
>1,000.  Heck, it hardly takes any torque at all to KEEP you rolling at 60
>mph once you've reached 3,000 rpms.
>
>In contrast, the diesel made its 500 ft-lb max at only 1600 RPMs -- down
>where you need it for pulling away from a stop.  This makes the diesel 3-4
>times "torquier" (is that a word, John H?) than the gas motor where it
>counts.
>
>Bill

I'll screw this all up, but if I'm too far off, Howard will straighten me
out. Then, because he's a true gentleman, he'll only needle me
off-digest.

Anyway, Navistar and Cummins went together with a couple of guys that
make this kind of racing machine and built a truck tractor to try and set
a new speed record at Bonneville. I think it had 2000 HP of Cummins
Diesel in it. (This may have been the 1000 HP one, but I don't think so)
At Bonneville, they couldn't keep tires on it, but ended up setting a new
record of 239 mph. It actually went much faster at times, but the tire
failures kept the truck from completing runs, so the higher mph's didn't
count. Anyway, the point of the story is that as it was ripping along at
239 mph, the engine was turning 1800 rpm, and was capable of at least
another grand.

Sorry Howard, that's the best I can do.
John H.