Pulling Power

>From: Steve Stegmann <stegmann@domain.elided>
>Subject: Re: Horsepower and Torque
>
>John,
>
>You never did say why the GC pulls easier than the 345.
>
>Steve

Steve,
Only because I really don't know. I have some conceptual things in mind,
but they haven't congealed into anything expressible.
I was looking at Bill Thebert's graphs of the 345 vs. the 392 on the
Binder Bulletin site last night, and that graphing shows that the 392
maintains its torque over a much wider range of rpms than the 345.
Condensing what I think it showed, you could maintain high torque in a
range of rpms that maybe covered 45 mph at 1800 rpm up to 70 mph at 3200
rpm. (I just made up the mphs for illustration)  By comparison, the 345
only gives you high torque over a much narrower range of rpms, thereby
making it necessary to do a lot of shifting in order to stay in this
optimal range.

I found Bill's graphs to be quite dramatic in illustrating the difference
between the two engines. I had never really believed that there was that
much difference in the two engines.  The 392 has a remarkably flat torque
production line. If I were planning on using my Terra for much trailer
pulling, I'd now have to join John L. in getting a 392 ready for implant.

Bill has a 318 Chrysler engine in his pickup, and it would be really
interesting if he could graph that engine for us.

Whatdaya mean, I evaded the question? Of course I did, not being able to
dazzle you with brillance, I have chosen to baffle you with bull****.

Regards,
John