Re: Compression on a 152.

jmbrodsky@domain.elided wrote:

>      Binders,
>
>         So, my friend Andy and I are are looking at this '64 80 with a
>      152.  The owner couldn't make the thing run in front of us, it
>      basically sounded like the starter was carrying the engine, and
>      the engine wouldn't catch.  Well, we checked the compression and
>      got something like 1:60 2:50 3:60 4:70.
>
>         Now I know that these are low compression engines, but even
>      8.0:1 should be an ideal 8.0 x 14.67 psi/atm = 117.36 psi.
>
>         Can we expect to drive this truck with the numbers this low?
>      These were the dry compression numbers.  Didn't try them wet.
>      The other question is:  This thing could go for a song, so is it
>      worth it to get the truck for like $400, and try to put another
>      152 in it?  OR, get the truck for $400 and put a 304/345/392 if
>      we can locate a yard motor?
>
>         It appears the drivers side engine mount is different from I4
>      to V8, and that the engine tilts differently than if it were
>      really just the right bank of cylinders.  So, we'd need a v8
>      bellhousing for the 3 spd (T-18?) motor mounts for a 80/800 v8,
>      and a v8?  What else?  It appears to have a rebuilt alternator,
>      and radiator, and the tranny feels very smooth.  She has receipts
>      for these things as well as others, and the rig appears pretty
>      clean, aside from the little dings here and there from 35 years
>      of age.

Joel-

This is a question that I have asked many members of the digest, as I
like the oldest Scouts best.  From what I have been told, it is a fairly
serious undertaking to put a V8 in the place of a 4 in a model 80.  You
would need the different bell housing that you note, but would also need
to add motor mounts and the whole engine compartment needs a little
refabbing.  I think the radiator must be moved forward a few inches,
which means refabbing a mount for it, and I'm not sure what all else is
involved.
If you've got the time/desire, go to it.  I'm sure that the more
knowledgeable people will throw in advice soon, but this is what I've
been told.
Living where you are, a fairly rust-free body probably doesn't seem like
much, but $400.00 for a decent rolling body is a pretty good deal in
most places.  You can always get a replacement 152 or possibly a 196
will fit in-never asked that one.  I think it's a bargain and I would
buy it in a second.  However, I am in the wetter area of Northern
Cailifornia, and was raised in the salt spraying winters of Indiana.  I
am hoping to make it down to Needles, CA in the near future to pick up
the Scout 800 I keep talking about with a 304 in it.  $300.00, rust
free, faded, and not running, but noone knows why.  At worst I've got
two 345's and a 396 in other vehicles in my driveway to drop in it.  For
$400.00, I would go for the decent body and great seats!

Michael