Re: Compression on a 152.

>     The other question is:  This thing could go for a song, so is it
>     worth it to get the truck for like $400, and try to put another
>     152 in it?  OR, get the truck for $400 and put a 304/345/392 if
>     we can locate a yard motor?

Joel,

Putting a V8 into a Scout 80 is one of those "If you have to ask..." kinda
things.  There was a thread on it on the BinderBulletin TechTalk forum a few
weeks ago.

It involves more than just a new bellhousing.. there's a crossmember that
needs moved, steering box changed out, and I think the radiator has to
move.. plus the V8 800s had a 2" taller body to make room for the V8s..

Of course, remember that it has a Dana 27 front and maybe a 27 or '44
(tapered) rear... drop a V8 in there, and you'll need new axles.... ;-)

>     really just the right bank of cylinders.  So, we'd need a v8
>     bellhousing for the 3 spd (T-18?) motor mounts for a 80/800 v8,
>     and a v8?  What else?  It appears to have a rebuilt alternator,

Best re-motor option would be a 196-4cyl from an 800... same tilt, and I
believe it's a drop-in.  If you're lucky, you can score a 4cyl 196 w/ a T18
and swap that in too (with the "tipped" bellhousing)

It's funny, Joel... Tuesday night I ran into a friend at NAPA that asked if
I was at all interested in the older Scouts... like..say.. a '61 with the
pickup top... seems a friend of his may be moving, and she overpaid (@ $300)
for this Scout on the basis of "new brakes, new clutch, ...." which isn't
so.  I may score it for a song as well. :-)

A little Cabtop Scout 80 would be cool to have around... mount an A-frame
and winch in the back, and I'll have that yard truck I've always wanted...
license it, and I can take it to the junk yard or machine shop with parts in
the back... sounds too cool.

I always wanted a fold-down windshield anyhow....

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout