Compression on a 152.

     Binders,

        So, my friend Andy and I are are looking at this '64 80 with a
     152.  The owner couldn't make the thing run in front of us, it
     basically sounded like the starter was carrying the engine, and
     the engine wouldn't catch.  Well, we checked the compression and
     got something like 1:60 2:50 3:60 4:70.

        Now I know that these are low compression engines, but even
     8.0:1 should be an ideal 8.0 x 14.67 psi/atm = 117.36 psi.

        Can we expect to drive this truck with the numbers this low?
     These were the dry compression numbers.  Didn't try them wet.
     The other question is:  This thing could go for a song, so is it
     worth it to get the truck for like $400, and try to put another
     152 in it?  OR, get the truck for $400 and put a 304/345/392 if
     we can locate a yard motor?

        It appears the drivers side engine mount is different from I4
     to V8, and that the engine tilts differently than if it were
     really just the right bank of cylinders.  So, we'd need a v8
     bellhousing for the 3 spd (T-18?) motor mounts for a 80/800 v8,
     and a v8?  What else?  It appears to have a rebuilt alternator,
     and radiator, and the tranny feels very smooth.  She has receipts
     for these things as well as others, and the rig appears pretty
     clean, aside from the little dings here and there from 35 years
     of age.  These are the most beautiful 35 year old seats I've
     seen, aside from a swimsuit competition.

        What's the verdict, all you Scout I owners out there?

     Thanks a bunch,

     -Joel Brodsky
        www.physics.arizona.edu/~jbrodsky

         '76 IHC Scout II 345/tf727 RE8000, Cibie40s, custom
                rear tire rack, 6 different color body panels.
                Not much sport, all utility.
         '75 IHC Travelall 150 4wd 392/tf727 Hummer brush guard,
                3/4T rear springs, Hella Rallye 2000s, Con-Ferr 5x7,
                Class IV hitches front and rear, 3" Exhaust.
                1st Place, Rocky Mountain IH Rendezvous,
                3rd Place, Tulare IH Western Regionals.
         '74 IHC Travelall 150? 2wd 392/tf727 "The 'new' one"
                Factory AM/FM, Cruise, Tilt, AC, Captains Chairs,
                Rblt, Alt, carb, fuel pump, ps pump, water pump, dash,
                seats, rear door, starter, master cyl, what could be left?