Re: gutter mounts

On Wed, 9 Dec 1998, William Cunningham wrote:

> I have a pile of Yakima Rack pieces/parts I can root through.
> I will be gone for four days so I can't tell you what I have for awhile.

What the ski rack has, is some metal pieces attached via a thin piece of
metal "strap".. seems to have a little stretch to it.. the end of these
pieces is curved to make a wide, flat, "hook".. presumably to attach to a
Subaru or some other lesser make of car that's smaller across than my
Scout.. since the "hooks" make it no where near the edge of the hardtop.

I picked the ski rack up as an impulse buy at the ski swap a month or so
ago.. it was $10.. I could always give it away or toss it if I can't MAKE
it work.. ;-)

I bought a "gutter tie-down strap kit" at the hardware store.. almost
what I wanted, but the "gutter clips" were obviously not designed for a
Scout II's top.. they're more to go around the *side* and barely touch
UNDER the gutter.. on the SII of course, I want the clip to go UNDER the
gutter, over the side, IN on top, and then go up.  The SII top is
"taller" from the gutter than most rigs (or so it seems, seeing the
design of the clips) and squarer.  Like I said.. I want a "d" with the
back part of the "o" cut out.

I don't have the factory luggage rack or I'd use it in some manner.

I also figure someone else out there wants to strap something to the top
of their Scout.. I can't be the first person wanting such a designed
"clip" to use..

Just a piece of strap with 3 bends in it would do the job..

> Why not just pop-rivet the bugger on and be done with it? we *are*
> talking a "winter only" top are we not?

<grin>  I thought of that.. or of just welding/bolting "clips" to the
gutter to anchor the ski rack.. permanently affixing the "clip" is plan
B.  Actually, I think two holes drilled near each other through the
gutter would work great.. just loop some steel cable through the two
holes and back up, then put the cable U-bolt on it.  voila.  I'd just
like to avoid any *permanent* modifications to the hardtop if I can help
it..

As for pop-rivets to the top.. great idea, Willy.. but next year when I
go Christmas Tree hunting, and someone *isn't* handy with a pickup, I
think I'd want to be able to take the ski rack *off* to make it easier to
lash a few trees to that hardtop..

I guess I need to swing by the fabricator's and ask what it'd take for 3
bends on the brake and four pieces of strap.. it's a simple design I'm
after.. I just want the clips to hold themselves on when I tighten the
turnbuckle down...

-Tom