T'all 2wd-4wd

John,

        The pickups and Travelalls (WagonMaster and Travelette included) had
divorced Transfer cases (I'm pretty sure, at least mine do).  The transmission
will work in either application equaly well, except:

The output housing (tailcone) on the 2wd '74 T'all is about 8" longer and the
drive shaft is a two piece.  The 4wd, has a short style output housing (like a
2wd scout would) and a single rear drive shaft after the transfer case.  There
is what I call a 'short shaft' of about 13" between the transmission and the
Transfer case on teh 4wd.  This all adds up to:

All you have to do is change the trannies, and put the drive shafts in and
divorced transfer case and you're set.  The 2wd fron end has a HUGE crossmember
int he front, and I haven't even thought about taking that out.  I'm sure it can
be done.  The frame for my 4wd has huge bosses and gussets and holes where the
2wd strut rods normally mount, so they were the same bare frame before assembly.

        Good luck, and you'll now have fun at the parts store, calling it a 2wd,
then the guy sees a 4wd.

        I go in and tell them it's a 1T 4x4 pickup, apparently their computer
thinks that was the only IH in 74-75 with a 392.

        As an aside, anyone try the quart-and-a-half oil filter from FRAM?  They
wanted a few dollars more, but they were out of them.

     -Joel Brodsky
        www.physics.arizona.edu/~jbrodsky

         '76 IHC Scout II 345/tf727 RE8000, Cibie40s, custom
                rear tire rack, 6 different color body panels.
                Not much sport, all utility.
         '75 IHC Travelall 150 4wd 392/tf727 Hummer brush guard,
                3/4T rear springs, Hella Rallye 2000s, Con-Ferr 5x7,
                Class IV hitches front and rear, 3" Exhaust.
                1st Place, Rocky Mountain IH Rendezvous,
                3rd Place, Tulare IH Western Regionals.
         '74 IHC Travelall 150? 2wd 392/tf727 "The 'new' one"
                Factory AM/FM, Cruise, Tilt, AC, Captains Chairs,
                Rblt, Alt, carb, fuel pump, ps pump, water pump, dash,
                seats, rear door, starter, master cyl, what could be left?