Re: lower gears for auto tranny

>>I recently got a 727 rebuild kit from Northern Auto Parts
>>(www.naparts.com) and was fairly pleased with it, though
>>I had to buy the front seal separately.
>What was in this kit, Allan?  I have a 727 sitting in my driveway I need to
>rebuild this winter... as I recall, it worked fine 'cept it wouldn't hit
3rd
>gear.
>
>I'm not sure what's involved in an AT overhaul *yet*.. but I have an
>experienced friend that said he'd help... just wondering if $70 is all
it'll
>take or if there's more involved...
>
>-Tom

Tom:
  The kit was very complete, even included new bushings, which, unless it
was
run dry or had metal shavings pumped through, usually are not bad.  I did
have to
buy a front seal, which ran me $12 at the local parts house.  And, it had
two
thrust washers with 4 locating tabs, and the only ones I've ever seen in a
727
have 3 tabs.  I ended up reusing 2 of mine, which were still in excellent
condition.
There are a total of 4, if I remember right.  The kit also included a new
front band.
The rear band is usually fine and is not normally replaced.  If it is worn,
I think they
run around $30.  This tranny showed no signs of being rebuilt before, and it
was
in incredible shape at 169K miles.  I don't care what anyone says, the 727
is
a tough unit.  I wanted to be sure, since I've found the DPO FUBAR'd several
other items.

Note that rebuilding your own automatic can be a real cost savings over just
'taking it in', but do not overlook the work to take it out and put it in.
As many
here can attest, it is not a pleasant job.

Allan Weidenheimer
72 1210 Pickup
Wanted: 8' Bonus Load Pickup Box, need to make my Travelette longer