R&R 727

On Mon, 7 Dec 1998, Allan Weidenheimer wrote:

> Note that rebuilding your own automatic can be a real cost savings over just
> 'taking it in', but do not overlook the work to take it out and put it in.
> As many
> here can attest, it is not a pleasant job.

Well, getting it out is easy... I just need to unbolt it from the
crossmember and put my hoist to the bellhousing bolts.. (lifted the T15
out of the '72 that way, and the '72 still has a front clip and inner
fenders).. the racer chassis is lacking a motor, driveshafts, and any
front sheet metal.. it has a firewall, and that's as much front end as it
gets (no inner or outer fenders, no radiator any longer, etc)  Getting it
out will be easy.. and if it isn't, I can just cut the body. ;-)

As for putting it back in.. it goes back into another racer.. possibly
with the engine/tanny/tcase as a unit.. and again, not front clip
whatsoever.. it'll be a tilt front end, but I'll have it removed when the
drivetrain goes in..

Now, if only it was so easy when I put the 304 or the T19 into the '77!

I should also get my other spare 727 home from Bozeman and rebuild it,
too.. hot-swap... ;-)

Thanks,

-Tom