Re: 392 block was 345 block

In a brilliant stroke of genius, "Tom Harais" <tjhemh@domain.elided> blurted
out:

>The second rule was if they are going to go to all the trouble of properly
>boring, clearancing and decking your block for you that they had better
>bore it with a "honing plate" snugged down to head bolt torque specs.
>Anything less produces less than perfect results.

PED offers this service... but it doesn't come cheap!  I asked them what it
was when I saw it on the price list, and they tell me it's not needed on IH
engines, and then it's really meant for those really tight tolerance racing
engines.

>Sounds like you found a good shop. :-) Wish I knew of one. They all claim
>to be good around here. But I, like you, trust no one.

I can't vouch for this shop yet, but they come highly recommended from a
few gear head co-workers.  They offered me a tour of the shop when I bring
down my block, heads and crank, so I'm looking forward to seeing their
operation.  I spoke with one guy named "Al" there on the telephone (when
Norm was at lunch one day).  He said he worked for a previous machine shop
for over 14 years that rebuilt IH engines for a local IH dealership.  He
claims to know them like the back of his hand.

>Elza's nephews race sprint cars and have their motors built at some pretty
>nice shops. But I understand they are paying about $4-$5,000 per motor so,
>I guess you get what you pay for.

That's always the way it is... 95% of the time.

Regards,

John L.
jlandry AT halcyon DOT com    |
Conservative Libertarian      |
Life Member of the NRA        |        All the GOOD things in life
WA Arms Collectors            |              are DANGEROUS!
Commercial Helicopter - Inst. |
www.halcyon.com/jlandry/      |