Re: 392 block was 345 block

John:

I did forget to mention, an old hot rodder's adage.

If you take your engine to a shop for machine work and they don't care to
wait until the pistons arrive before they bore the engine, run to the next
shop and ask them if they wait for the pistons. One of the supposed tests
of a good shop is that they demand the pistons be available for measurement
before they bore the block so that they can take individual variances into
account.

The second rule was if they are going to go to all the trouble of properly
boring, clearancing and decking your block for you that they had better
bore it with a "honing plate" snugged down to head bolt torque specs.
Anything less produces less than perfect results.

Sounds like you found a good shop. :-) Wish I knew of one. They all claim
to be good around here. But I, like you, trust no one.

Elza's nephews race sprint cars and have their motors built at some pretty
nice shops. But I understand they are paying about $4-$5,000 per motor so,
I guess you get what you pay for.

Tom H.