carb problems with flooding

Hi all,
Hopefully someone can offer me some help.  I have a 73' Scout II, 304,
2bbl. motorcraft (350cfi I can't remember right now) that started
flooding about two months ago.  I pull up to an intersection and stop
the truck and then when I proceed to acclerate away from the
intersection, the engine floods itself and then I'm stuck there in
traffic (you all know how good that feels).  I've worked the auto choke
back and forth, and it seems to not solve the problem.  When I make it
leaner, it dies quickly; there seems to be an unusually short range
between flood and stall.  Any suggestions?

Also, can anyone recommend a good Scout mechanic in the north Houston or
Austin, Texas areas.  The guys around here haven't had enough experience
working on Scout to work with their "special" situations.  And quite
frankly, I'm running out of options.

Thanks in advance,
Chris

Chris Mazur