Re: carb problems with flooding

On Mon, 7 Dec 1998 z_mazurc@domain.elided wrote:

> Hi all,
> Hopefully someone can offer me some help.  I have a 73' Scout II, 304,
> 2bbl. motorcraft (350cfi I can't remember right now) that started
> flooding about two months ago.  I pull up to an intersection and stop
> the truck and then when I proceed to acclerate away from the
> intersection, the engine floods itself and then I'm stuck there in
> traffic (you all know how good that feels).

Does it idle ok?

How are you sure it is flooding and not too lean?

What happens when you pump the throttle quickly to get some gas in with
the accelerator pump.

>I've worked the auto choke
> back and forth, and it seems to not solve the problem.  When I make it
> leaner, it dies quickly; there seems to be an unusually short range
> between flood and stall.  Any suggestions?

Maybe it already is too lean

This sounds like classic '70s lean stumble.  Came from lean carbs and
accelerator pumps set too lean for the EPA.  Might be your problem.

Steve