Re: WM parts-body and MC

Joseph M. Shaw, II wrote:
<snip>

> Help, Please!
> If my MC is leaking out the back, where it joins the brake booster
> "drum," does this mean I need a new MC, new gasket of some kind only, or
> something else?  Brakes seem to work fine, though I haven't driven it
> much more than a block at a time yet.  It doesn't leak enough to notice,
> even though I always check it.  The only way I discovered it is through
> the amount of smoke that comes off the exhaust once the engine is warm.

If your master cylinder is leaking through the brake booster you should
replace it,then check the diaphram in the booster as brake fluid is
corrosive.You are sucking the fluid through the seal of the M/C through
the booster into the intake manifold which in turn pushes it through the
engine with the fuel.Because of brake fluids corrosive nature this can
cause long term damage to the internals of an engine.This is especially
important if the vehicle sits for a long time,as the brake fluid has
time to start working on any metal it comes into contact with.
I learned this the hard way on my 76 SII,cost me a good 345.
Some auto parts stores can get a complete m/c,brakebooster assembly from
one of the local rebuilders for a fair price,this can be an option to
look into.
Dennis