Re: 345 block

When the truth serum kicked in, "Matt and Stacy Sopher" <sopher@domain.elided>
blurted out...

>When rebuilding VW air cooled motors, each piston had a > on them, and you
>would install them with the > facing the flywheel. Maybe, just maybe, you
>have to be able to read the "A" so the piston is in right. Just a thought.

Matt,

Nice guess, but I don't think this is the case here.

The IH pistons are clearly marked "UP" with an arrow... in addition to the
letter marking elsewhere on the face of the piston.

One cool (unrelated) thing I noticed on the valves when disassembling the
heads on my wrecking yard 392... each valve head is clearly stamped with the
IH part number, the IH logo, and the abbreviation "INT" or "EX".  Makes it
pretty simply to ID what's what.  IH seems to have been very thorough at
marking all parts of the engine is ways that makes reassembly simple.  There's
not much (if any) need to stamp parts as they are disassembled.  Some engine
manufacturers don't bother to ID the parts... the main caps for example... so
you can get into real trouble upon reassembly if you don't take the time to
mark them during disassembly.

Another reason why I love IH stuff.

Regards,

John
jlandry AT halcyon DOT com       |
Conservative Libertarian         |   1976 Red / White / Blue (and rust)
Life Member of the NRA           |  "Bicentennial" IHC Scout II Traveler
WA Arms Collectors               |
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.    |            It's my hobby...
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/  |       It's My wife's nightmare!