Valve seats and crapy running 196

	Does anyone know how long the valve seats will last on my 1968 Scout 800
with the original motor having 78,500 original miles on it? I want to know
before some drastid thing happens on a trip.

	How do ya tell if it has hardened seats? I always thought that if you
looked close and they were pressed in then they were the hardened ones as
the stock cast iron had been cut out and replaced. Is this correct.

	I have a set of re-done heads in the garage for a 345 and was considering
putting one of them on my 196 to boost compression. What if any other
changes need to be made after converting to a 345 head other than retiming it?

Also does the 1 barrel carb that comes factory have a power valve that can
:blow: out? My motor (196) is running like it has an air leak or water in
the gas. I pressure washed the truck to get all the mud out of the crevices
and think that since when I am filling the gas tanks as they approach full
they spill out from inside the fender well (a breather of some kind??) I am
wondering in my washing if I blasted some water in there. I have filled the
tank and added gas dryer to see if thats it. It just started after washing
i so I think it is but?????

Any clues, experiances similar, or thoughts?
(yes I checked inside the dist to see if there was water in there)

Fleckster

                        John L Fleck
                     1225 N.E. McGee Way
                     Pullman, Wa. 99163
        Washington State University College # 509 332-7565
        E-MAIL  jlfleck@domain.elided
        ICQ # 8536313                 GOD bless you
        Personal Web Site: http://www.wsu.edu:8080/~jlfleck
 WSU   Cougs Rule     WSU    Cougs Rule   WSU   Cougs Rule