Valve cover gaskets, and safety wire.

Joe, Tom H, etc.,

        Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but don't IH factory manifold
gaskets have small tabs in 3 places that stick up about 1/16" to keep
the VC gaskets from moving when you install the VC's?  I've always had
them on mine (5 IH engines so far...).  I also use a light coating of
Permatex Ultra Copper on the gaskets to keep them from shifting while
I align everything.  Works great, and could function as the gasket
itself.  Ultra Copper in conjunction with the gasket is impenetrable,
and allows easy removal.  I've never had to use a gasket scraper in
the last 8 years.

        Purely an observation, maybe $0.01.

     -Joel Brodsky

         '76 IHC Scout II 345/tf727 RE8000, Cibie40s, custom
                rear tire rack, 6 different color body panels.
                Not much sport, all utility.
         '75 IHC Travelall 150 4wd 392/tf727 Hummer brush guard,
                3/4T rear springs, Hella Rallye 2000s, Con-Ferr 5x7,
                Class IV hitches front and rear, 3" Exhaust.
                1st Place, Rocky Mountain IH Rendezvous,
                3rd Place, Tulare IH Western Regionals.
         '74 IHC Travelall 150? 2wd 392/tf727 "The 'new' one"
                Factory AM/FM, Cruise, Tilt, AC, Captains Chairs,
                Rblt, Alt, carb, fuel pump, ps pump, water pump, dash,
                seats, rear door, starter, master cyl, what could be
left?