Re: Cost to rebuild IH engines

In a brilliant stroke of genius, Doug Rasmussen
<DougRasmussen@domain.elided> blurted out:

>  I can understand that, but. . . . .
>
>   The things that'd worry me as a first time IH rebuilder are those little
>quirks that might be unique
>to these engines.  I mean, with the time, effort and money invested, what
>if you do something wrong
>in assembly and damage the engine on first startup?

I'll take that risk... remember my anal retentive reputation???  It comes
in handy when doing meticulous projects such as this. <grin>

>Can you really be sure it's done the way you
>want when you have to send the block and heads out to have the machine
>work done?

Mostly.  I can measure and inspect before I turn the parts over to a
machine shop and then do the same when I go to pick them up.  I can choose
a shop with a good reputation and speak directly to the machinist.  I can
tell him exactly I want and expect or go somewhere else if I feel we can't
work together.  Owen Minor recommended a small local shop that has been
very helpful in answering my questions during my first visit.

I also called Northern Auto Parts Warehouse today and spoke at length with
a very knowledgable person there about the various parts and options
available.  He was very helpful in looking up specific information on the
parts I'm considering and what machine work is and isn't required for said
parts.

> I just liked the idea of having someone experienced with IH engines do the
>rebuild, with all the
> machining done in their own shop.

While I think that's not a bad idea, I *personally* feel a lot better when
I educate myself (or get the training) and do the work by myself.  Of
course I don't have access to or the skill required to operate say an
engine milling/boring machine.  But other than those types of operations,
I'll do everything I possibly can by myself.

I know I'm not the only one on the Digest who suffers from this! <grin>

>  BTW,I never did have Ewing do the rebuild.  I found a recently done 304
>for basically a core price.

That's pretty nice!

Take care,

John L.
jlandry AT halcyon DOT com    |
Conservative Libertarian      |
Life Member of the NRA        |        All the GOOD things in life
WA Arms Collectors            |              are DANGEROUS!
Commercial Helicopter - Inst. |
www.halcyon.com/jlandry/      |