airing down

Daniel Nees wrote:

>    When you go out in the woods wheeling, specifically muddy, mountainy,
> rocky terrain, where do you run your tire pressure? Joe C, Rob C, and I
> are going to Paragon Adventre Park on saturday and I was wondering what
> I should air down to, if at all.

check the pressure rating on the tire sidewall: weigh the truck: do some
division.

tire says 2500 lbs at 30 psi: truck weighs 5000 lbs: each tire needs to
support 1250 lbs: that's half the rating: run half the pressure: 15 psi

This will get you in the ball park (caveat, your front and rear axle loads
are significantly different!)

The real deal is that you want the tread on the ground. draw a thick chalk
mark across the tread of the tire and run it forward or backwards a couple
of revolutions. Is the chalk line equally smeared?

For what it's worth. The CJ-7 (2 tons) runs 35x12.50x15 Goodyear Wrangler
MTs on 10" rims at 13 psi street and trail.

YMMV. It depends on the tire and rim combo and the vehicle and how much
nerve you have.

                                /////
                               ( / \ )
                              (  O O  )