Cost to rebuild IH engines

After seeing the costs for parts and machine work on the DIY rebuilds
I'm  wondering if it isn't a better idea to have a good shop do the
whole job.

The quote I got from Ewing Engines in Auburn, Wa (near Stan's Headers)
 was less than some of you guys paid and you still had to assemble it.
  Plus I could walk out of the shop with a warranteed engine.

So what's the advantage to doing it yourself?  Masochism?  A learning
experience?

Doug