Re: Fender Flares & other mods

On Wed, 2 Dec 1998, Tom Harais wrote:

> With all this talk of fender rubbing, I was wondering what, if any,
> modifications to fender well openings members had made beside the usual
> bash away a little here and there with a hammer, that were effective in
> decreasing interference fit between fenders and tires. I mean, take old

Well... thus far, the fender lip/opening isn't MY rubbing problem... it's
the wheel well.  Through my wheel offset (unknown), running 33x12.50s on
15x8s, and my particular case of body-settling, my tires do NOT rub the
fender lip in the rear.  When I twist, they tuck nicely inside the
remains of the rusted fender lip.

Up front it's the same.

What needs to be done is a serious hacking of the wheel well in back and
a minor "tubbing" operation to LENGTHEN the rear wheel well.. not
necessarily the wheel opening/fender, but the wheel well.

> half-circle fender wells to cover the wide tires that stuck out from the
> body. Is there any such thing for Scouts?

Now, despite not hitting, I *could* benefit from either the Bushwacker
flares or the new Fiberglass flares I've seen for sale.  My tires
definitely stick out past the fender lip, and in some locales (and I
think here, since I don't have 4 mud flaps.. can't be sure tho') this
would be illegal.

I just think it helps with my two-tone paint job... whatever grey it is
on most of the Scout, but the mud very nicely forms almost a perfect line
at the lower break in the body where the factory trim would be... from
the front tires all the way back to the bumper.. almost a perfect line...

To my knowledge, no one makes "cut-out" flares.. Bushwacker's flares are
only for the stock UNCUT wheel openings.

-Tom