valve job update

Digesters,    Took the heads off last night. Man, thoes things are heavy. Every
thing looks prety
good under there. Ive got hardly any ridge, and the cylider walls are real smmoth
and
shiny. Tommarow i'll take them to a machine shop and have tham put in hard seats,
new valves and guides and umbrella seals. I was hoping  some of you engine guru's
could help me settle a dispute between my dad and I. He says I should put in new
original sixe mains in on the crankshaft without machinineing it to get the oil
pressure
up. This sound pretty dangourus to me. He also thinks I might as well replace my
rings while im in there. .  If I do that, Then I have to worry about the rings
seating
properly. I dont burn any oil except at start-up. My oil presssures not bad, Its
about
5 or ten psi  at hot idle(depending onn how fast its idleing) and its at about
30psi
on the highway. I'm using 10-40oil.  Also I rember sombody saying that if you
replace the lifters, then you must replace the cam. is this true? TIA
    Grant