fell in love & bought it

I haven't posted to the list much as time doesn't usually permit it and my
Scout is unusually reliable (and I've spent nearly 16 yrs with her so I
pretty well know how to keep her rollin').  But I thinks thats gonna
change.  While in N Idaho this past weekend I fell in love (with an IH of
course, my wife would object to anything else!).  Details (sketchy at this
time):
1970 IH Pickup 4X4 1ton dually...392 V8 (very clean)...4sp trans...2sp
TC...huge PTO winch...ps/pb (I think)...56K original miles...immaculate
inside and out (all original interior, NO dents, NO rust).
This truck was owned by a small rural fire dept that used it as a
tanker/pumper for wild land fires.  The water tank has been removed but the
custom utility boxes mounted outside the frame remain in place.  It was
dark and snowing when I spotted it sitting behind a fire dept. building
with the For Sale sign in the window.  Inspection was done via dim
flashlight but it was good enough for me, I had to have it!  Spoke with the
fire chief and closed the deal for $1300!  They've had it for sale for 3
months, a couple of casual lookers passed on it and one guy expressed
interest in parting it out but didn't follow up, boy am I glad!  Now for
the "yea, but...", the truck runs but not well (I haven't heard it yet).
Chief says it misses and he thinks it something in the valve train.
They've put a new carb (holly) on it a while back and that helped for a
while, but it's running poorly again and they just wanted rid of it, so I
helped 'em out and took it off their hands.  I asked if they thought it
would make the trip to OlyWA (~350 miles and one mtn. pass) they said "no,
it's got a small gas tank, I think about 20 gals. and you'd have to refill
it by the time you got to the other side of Spokane" (~50-60 miles).  While
it shares many things in common with my '79 SSII there are some differences
I'm looking for advice on.  Never dealt with a holly (my T-Quad still going
strong), any setup suggestions?  What about advice on a points ignition
(eek!, it ain't my electronic ignition)?  Any other ideas on how to get her
home w/o buying stock in Texaco?  I'll be getting the shop manual but until
it arrives who can tell me a little more about this truck (like probable TC
type, gear ratios, engine specs, etc.).
Thanks,
SEC  '79 SSII (& '70 PU)
skinner@domain.elided