Re: The Mechanics Worst Nightmare!

John L wrote:
>I've also been told I can't expect to weld something to the extractor in
order to try and pull it out with a slide hammer, so that's out.

I was also warned against trying to weld a nut to the end of the broken
bolt with the extractor still sticking out.<

John,

  This is fairly easy.  Have someone who's good with a TIG torch weld
something on to the end of the extractor and it'll come right out,
hopefully, bolt and all.  Several times I've had broken off flush 4-40
hardened screws removed this way.  The heat from the welding will probably
be enough to loosen the bolt.  This shouldn't be any problem with the
surrounding cast iron cause it's melting point is so far above that of the
bolt and the extractor.  The hi-carbon steels used in things like the
extractor weld very well.  The bolt itself may have a copper coating that
might make welding a real bear.

Doug, BTDT